Thursday 10 April 2008

Not just trains that break down

I've noticed recently that there have been a lot of problems with the now infamous "Selective Door Opening System".

After a few teething troubles, the train staff have sussed everything out and provide useful announcements for the uninitiated and I have turned up my multi-media player because frankly I could make the announcements myself....
Anyway, I have heard the reason given a number of times that the selective door opening failure is behind some cancellations. This has affected me once or twice...

I wonder if the system needs a bit of work to ensure it is a bit more robust.. But that's not what I wanted to go on about..
MY CAR....

New prop shaft required, blah blah blah (ok it's an environmentally friendly 4x4) Rough cost £1000 including VAT and labour.


HOWEVER....
The intervention of the divine being has meant that the mechanics have looked a bit closer at the problem and found that the bit they need to replace is actually a bit smaller than they thought - Final cost including parts, labour, VAT, Gordon Brown slush fund etc.... £220.
Fantastic.
T4x4F

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you noticed the little "HST 2+7" Boards that have sprung up beyond the ends of the platforms at small stations? These are supposed to tell the Drivers of HST's where to stop their trains. But aren't they supposed to stop at the end of the platform by the bicycle boards so that bikes can go in the van at the back end of the front power car? And if a Driver does stop by one of the boards and the Guard operates the SDO on the front of the train, won't that mean that passengers in the front of the train fall out on to the track? And Drivers I've spoken to say they've had no briefing on these new Boards. Typical FGW....

Gordon the Blue Engine